To Apply for the 2017 Novel-In-Progress Bookcamp
[This page covers application materials, fees, scholarship options, and other info.]
Send your application packet via email to Dave Rank, Bookcamp Director (click here to email Dave) with the following information.
Core Information about your Work-in-Progress
- The first 3 chapters or up to 30 pages of your manuscript (please send full chapters only). If you are in the initial story development phase of your work-in-progress, samples of your previous work will suffice.
- A query letter with marketing pitch for your book to an agent or publisher.
- A one- to two-page synopsis of your book. Include plot summary with ending.
Other Information to Submit
- Your full name, contact info (address and phone number), a brief bio paragraph centered on your writing background.
- The title and genre of your book, word length (actual or projected), the status of your book (outline only, mid-first draft, in final edit phase, etc.)
- Optional, mention any specific area of your book you want assistance on (such as improving plot, developing subplots, adding depth to characters, etc.). This will help us tailor the Bookcamp to better serve your needs.
Upon reception of your application, we will notify you within five working days if your application is accepted. At that time, if you have not already sent it in, we will ask for the refundable $100 deposit to secure your place in the Bookcamp. Final payment for the remaining portion of your registration fee will be requested upon acceptance. (We can work out a comfortable payment timetable for you.)
Full refunds are available until April 15, 2017.
To submit your application, $100 deposit, and/or the total registration fee:
Address checks to the Novel-in-Progresss Bookcamp, c/o Dave Rank, 831 S. Seventh Ave., West Bend, WI 53095.
Questions? Contact Dave Rank, Bookcamp Director, by email (click here to send Dave an email) or call 262-717-5154.
Registration Fees & Options
Bookcamp Registration – Early Period (June 30, 2016-March 31, 2017)
- $1,360, single room
- $1,315, single room (Chicago Writers Association or Chippewa Valley Writers Guild member discount)
- $1,290, single room (Bookcamp Alumni)
- $1,310, double room
- $1,255, double room (Chicago Writers Association or Chippewa Valley Writers Guild member discount)
- $1,240, double room (Bookcamp Alumni)
- $ 898, Commuter (program registration & all meals, no room)
- $ 799, Commuter (Bookcamp Alumni)
Couple, Single Registration/Roommate/Double Room (1 Registrant at scheduled price/1 nonparticipant, $675, includes all meals and social activities)
Bookcamp – Late Registration (April 1–31, 2017)
- $1,399, single room
- $1,349, double room
- $ 998, commuter
Writing Retreat Registration – Early Period (June 30, 2016–March 31, 2017)
Apply early. NIP Bookcamp registrants will receive lodging preference if necessary.
- $815, single room
- $799, single room (Chicago Writers Assn. or Chippewa Valley Writers Guild member, or Bookcamp Alumni*)
- $766, double room
- $749, double room (Chicago Writers Assn. or Chippewa Valley Writers Guild member, or Bookcamp Alumni*)
- $410, Commuter (program registration & all meals, no room)
- $399, Commuter (Chicago Writers Assn. or Chippewa Valley Writers Guild member, or Bookcamp Alumni*)
*Note: NIP Alumni are allowed free access to most Bookcamp activities except morning classes, one-on-one sessions, and group critiques.
Writing Retreat Registration – Late Period (April 1–31, 2017)
- $875, single room
- $825, double room
- $470, commuter
Information to submit for writing retreat
- Brief (250 words or less) description of the work-in-progress you plan to work on during the Writing Retreat with your goals for the week (number of pages or words written, pages edited, outlining project, etc.)
- Brief bio detailing your writing background and writing goals.
Dave will arrange payment timetable with you, either one or two payments, depending on your preference and time of application. Payment checks should be written to Novel-In-Progress Bookcamp & Writing Retreat, Inc., and mailed to: NIP Bookcamp, c/o Dave Rank, 831 S. Seventh Ave., West Bend, WI 53095.
Bookcamp Scholarship Opportunities
Registrants can apply for a $250 scholarship. Details:
Scholarship Sponsor: Fox Ridge Publications, an imprint of Lisa Lickel Publishing, offers one $250 scholarship to Novel-In-Progress Bookcamp & Writing Retreat, Inc. for the 2017 Bookcamp, given as a refund to a selected writer enrolled in the 2017 NIP Bookcamp.
Eligibility: Writers who enroll in Novel-In-Progress Bookcamp by March 15, 2017, may apply for the Fox Ridge Scholarship. Writers enrolled for the Retreat are not eligible.
Application: The application is a one-page (or no more than 300-word essay) on the theme of why the applicant wants to attend the Bookcamp and what he or she hopes to achieve as a result of the experience.
Submission: The essays should be in a document attached in an e-mail and must not include the applicant’s name in the document. Applications should be emailed to Dave Rank, Bookcamp Director (click here to email Dave).
Deadline: All applications for the Fox Ridge scholarship must be received by midnight Central Time, March 15, 2017. Late applications for the scholarship will not be considered.
Award: The Fox Ridge scholarship will be awarded in the form of a refund from Novel-In-Progress Bookcamp during the event. The winning essay is chosen anonymously by Lisa Lickel. In the event the recipient cannot attend Novel-In-Progress Bookcamp in May 2017, another applicant will be selected.